Friday, September 24, 2010

The last tidbits of lamb

 Ok. Like I said before this one pretty much cooks itself.  Here I am making nice vertical slices of all the veggies, letting their color and form shine.  Then I cube the eggplant.  This is my preferred way to treat eggplant whether I am sauteing or roasting it.  It's texture comes through in velvety perfection.  Isn't it great to be surrounded by so many colors and textures! to be alive and involved? 
 The grill is hot. The lamb has been massaged with an herb oil that contains dill, rosemary, parsley, basil, lemon and garlic.  Once placed on the grill's hottest spot I like to place fresh thyme around the chops to impart a subtle smoke to the meat as it cooks.  I allow approximately one minute, then rotate 90 degrees, one minute more.  This gives the lovely cross grill marks.  Then i flip the meat and repeat the process.  For the final step I set the meat up on end for about one minute more. During this step I rub sumac berries in a sieve to release their fragrant pollen onto the meat.  This assures that the bones in the chop are hot and conducting their heat through the morsel.  Then the meat needs to rest off the grill for about four minutes which gives an ideal opportunity to work on the vegetables.....
 Applying the sumac to the lamb.
 These lovely veg need about a tablespoon of olive oil and a hot pan for just long enough to add color marry the flavors of the oil, garlic, and onion to the peppers and eggplant.  Then toss in a handful of fresh basil leaves and turn onto a plate.
 Then the lamb goes on top. I had some lamb stock on hand and I deglazed the veggie pan with it allowing it to reduce a bit and poured it over the lamb.  The smells and sounds here are amazing. I really need to incorporate video and scratch and sniff!
And here is the final centerfold piece.  Robin and Tammy are so patient to shoot it from every possible angle and on several tables before they dig in.  I just got another lamb in from Gaelan yesterday and i can't wait to try some new things out with it but this was truly delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment